Poisonous House Plants -
Take Care with Children and Animals

It's a fact that many of our favourites are poisonous house plants that can cause negative effects to us, our children or our pets if eaten. So it's really important to know which of these plants are in your home and to treat them with due care. And some of the effects of ingestion of plant parts is very serious and may even lead to death.

This is a real issue to take care about -- a significant number of the poison cases at poison centres are related to the ingestion of plants or plant parts.

Tips for Dealing with Poisonous or Toxic House Plants

These tips are mostly relevant if you have children or pets. Adults are far less likely to go around trying to taste all your house plants.

If you have some poisonous or toxic plants in your home, keep them out of reach of children and pets.

To avoid any surprises, teach your children not to taste or play with plants while they're too young to distinguish between those that are edible and those that aren't.

It's a good idea to know which of your plants are potentially dangerous. I like keeping the labels on some plants anyway so that I can remember what they're called -- this can help you too. How about putting a red dot on the labels of those that are dangerous?

Plant What's Poisonous
Peace Lily All parts
Bird of Paradise (strelitzia) Seeds, pods
Jasmine All parts
English Ivy Leaves
Pothos/Devil's Ivy All parts
Orchid Bulbs
Snake plant Leaves and sap

What if your child or pet gets poisoned?

If your child or pet gets poisoned, take them straight to the closest hospital emergency room or poison centre. Make sure that you take note of the plant type. If you're not sure, take it along with you.


Return from Poisonous House Plants to Indoor Plants

Return from Poisonous House Plants to Indoor Gardening
Copyright 2010-2016 Beginner-Indoor-Gardening.com